Tuesday, August 10, 2010

DC2NY: The standard of traveling from DC to New York on a bus




(Disclaimer: I'll put this up at the beginning of all of my reviews for the buses:
1. This is not based on a single experience, but multiple trips from each company. I'll try to point out the highs and lows so you know what to expect.
2. You can't blame traffic on these guys. The Turnpike is a bitch no matter what you drive. Some are smarter than others, but you can't pick and choose your drivers for any of the companies. Having said that, expect the bus ride to be around 4.5 hours on a good day or late night, 5 hours or more on a Friday afternoon in traffic.
3. I'm a bit of a paranoid internet user. I don't like sharing internet connections on a bus, so I carry a datacard with me. Or I bring movies with me on my laptop. But I have tested them all at various times. And all the bus companies have had buses that had broken wifi. Count on it!)
4. Oh yeah, and I don't use a bathroom on a bus. Some buses will make rest stops. Use them.

Where does DC2NY Pick you up:
DC2NY has three locations in DC and one in NYC:
Dupont Circle is pretty easy to find, I'll post up a map and picture courtesy of google maps where the pickup spot is. Get off on the North Entrance.


The 14th and H pick up spot is a little trickier, but not far from MacPherson Square, in front of the Cafe Philips:

The drop off is at 14th and I, but I won't show u a picture of that since it's so close and it's not like you'll get lost GOING there.

The Union Station pickup is quite a weird one. You'll need to head up the escalators that are in the middle of the terminal area of the train station, then walk out to the bus area up another set up escalators. You'll see the area below. Note that Boltbus is also here as well as Washington Bus:



The New York spot is on 33rd and 7th. They also duke it out with Bolt Bus for this spot as well. And yes, it is in front of the adult video store.


What Makes DC2NY So Special: 
Service:
I don't know how I got into using DC2NY, but for me personally, it is my favorite service. It was started by a group of people who saw the business opportunity of having a comfortable bus system between NYC and DC. It's scary to think that 10 years ago your only choice was the Chinatown buses (shudder). The one thing I must say about the management for the company is that they are very hands on. If you take the pick up from DC you'll either see Asi the president taking your name on the list or a nicer European guy (I forget his name at the moment) do so, and they will also help you with your larger bags and place them under the bus and keep an eye on it. If you take the New York stop, you'll see the long haired Avi do the same. I've yet to see another bus company actually do that. Also, buses will take votes as to whether or not they take a rest stop. Most people choose to go straight to NYC. Except one time where it was a buncha stupid kids who wanted a rest stop. Those bastards. They also wanted to watch the Nutty Professor 3.

 
Amenities:
Another nice touch is that they give you a bottle of water, which doesn't offset the price or anything, but it's a nice touch since you will be on a bus for 4 hours. They also offer a choice of movie, which could be interesting (The Blind Side, Quantum of Solace) or crappy (The Nutty Professor 3? Really?). If you're a picky movie watcher I'd grab a book or movie instead of trusting their taste. If you just like watching all sorts of movies you'll be fine. Internet is pretty decent when it's there.  I got around 1 mbit a second with a 100 ms ping. Good for surfing, but you're not going to be streaming a movie. Also, power plugs are available on every other row of seats.

Here's another twist to DC2NY though. They have some buses that they own, but occasionally on busy weekends they will actually contract additional buses, which is why you see things like World Tours and DC Trails and the like. Some have the plugs, others do not. Service is the same, just the buses may be arranged a little differently.

Pricing:
$28 one way, $50 round trip for members if you book it online. Also, as a member, if you do at least 6 one way trips (I think it was 6), you get a free one way. They switched to a points system now with the beach buses, none of which I've used but the points should be the same.

For non-members, it's $30 one way, $55 round trip if you book it online.

If you walk up, it's $35.

The downsides (because you know nothing is ever perfect):
They don't tell you on the website, but some of the Dupont pickups that occur before Union Station pickups are the same buses. Meaning that if you get picked up at Dupont, you're not actually going yet and that adds some time to your trip. Also, especially on Fridays Union Station pickups have to wait for that other bus to meander through the crappy DC traffic from Dupont to Union Station before slogging northward towards I-95. So sometimes that 5:30 from Union Station doesn't leave until 6pm.


Conclusion (and tips):
I guess it's because I like it when people take that extra step and provide some customer service, and they do treat their customers like customers rather than cattle to stuff into a bus. They're reliable, friendly, clean, and I reward them with my loyalty.

Some tips and things to note for DC2NY:
-Book at least 3 days ahead of time if you want a specific bus time. Also, do the membership thing if you use it alot. Membership online is free and you save at least a couple bucks.
- I've never taken the beach bus. That's all on you.
-There is very little overhead space in the bus. Don't be a dick, just carry your backpack and tuck it under your seat.
-Vote to go straight there. Do you really want to spend an extra half hour traveling on top of the 4-5 hour bus ride? Movie is up to you.
-Again, wifi may not work and movie may not be what you want. Bring a book or something else to entertain yourself. 

Next up, Boltbus! Stay cheap you guys!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are traveling DC To NYC Bus Tickets and Union City To DC Bus you have to travel through Bus as i got Cheap Bus Tickets.