Monday, August 3, 2009

Pricing updates

So it's been a while since I've bought a lot of my bigger ticket items, and it looks as though things are changing....

Hard Drives
Hard drives have kinda leveled out for now in terms of price. You can get 1 Terabyte of storage nowadays for under $90 easily. A simple lookup on NewEgg proves this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%20103530090&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE


For those of you without the technological know how to install your own hard drive or make your own enclosure, external hard drives are just as close price-wise:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414%20131021336&name=1TB%20and%20higher

Not bad at all. I might start building my new rig soon..


HDTVs
For the longest time, I was convinced I got a great deal. And I have. I love my tv to death ^_^. It's discontinued right now, so you couldn't get the thing anymore if you wanted to unfortunately. Prices for 42 inch 1080p lcds are still hovering around 900 for brand name models, but I've seen some go as low as upper 600s for knockoff brands. I'd recommend finding as many reviews as you can for a tv you want to buy. Also, it seems like if you are okay with a 40inch tv the prices drop $100 off automatically.


Video Games
Haven't bought any new games in a while while simultaneously trading for a lot. Save myself some money while supporting my habit. I am a little pissed however, due to the fact that there are mysterious scratches on the disc of my favorite game at the moment...not caused from the ps3, but from me leaving the disc out....


Headphones
I don't know what it is with DC, but I can't find a decent electronics store in my area (Best Buy STFU). My last running headset broke (note: Skullcandy headphones suck), so I've picked up a set of Phillips clip ons for 18 bucks. Not bad, but they make me nostalgic for my old Sony ear clips, the newest version of which looks like this:

Plus side, you can get them for $15 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-Q22LP-Headphones-Interchangeable-Headphone/dp/B00008VIX2/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1


Bottom line? The longer you wait, the better off you are for anything electronic. As time goes on, newer models of things comes out, which makes the older things cheaper. Or newer models could be made both cheaper and better.

New posts? Video Cards, MMORPGS for cheap/free, and more gaming. Got a request? Just ask.

Till next time, stay smart and stay cheap.

No comments: